Web Series
Nirbhaya case convicts hanged

Nirbhaya case convicts hanged

The four men sentenced of the gang rape and murder of a woman in Delhi on December 16, 2012 were draped in the blackness of pre- daylight on Friday, March 20 ending a frightful chapter in India’s long history of sexual assault that had sizzled the nation’s soul.

Pawan Gupta (25), Vinay Sharma (26), Mukesh Singh (32) and Akshay Kumar Singh (31) were finished at 5.30 am for the harsh rape in an empty moving bus on the 23-year-old physiotherapy intern who came to be called the world over as Nirbhaya, the strongest one.

This is the first time that four men have been draped together in Tihar Jail, South Asia’s largest jail complex that have houses more than 16,000 prisoners. The punishments were carried out after the men disabled every possible legal channels to withdrawal the gallows.

Nirbhaya case

Their desperate tries only cancelled the unavoidable by less than 2 months after the first date of punishment was set for January 22.

Director General of Prison Sandeep Goel said, “They were draped at 5.30 am.”

After brutalising and raping the woman, the men, one of whom was a youthful at the time, drained her on the road and left for dead on the cold winter night. Her friend who was with her was also badly beaten and thrown out along with her.

She was so acutely breached that her insides were flowing out when she was taken to the hospital. She died in a Singapore hospital after fighting for her life for a fortnight.

Six people, involving the four convicts and the juvenile, were named as indicted.

After the trial began in the case, the juvenile was discharged in 2015 after contributing three years in a punishing home, while Ram Singh supposedly committed suicide in the Tihar Jail days.

The road to the gallows was a circuitous and long one, going through the lower courts, the High Court, the Supreme Court and the president’s office before going back to the Supreme Court that caught and dropped different healthful petitions.

The death warrants were delayed  by a court 3 times on the grounds that the convicts had not drained all their legal remedies and that the sympathy petition of one or the other was before the president.

On 5th March, a trial court gave fresh death warrants for 20th  March at 5.30 am as the final date for the hanging.

Leave a Reply